Old 14-11-2006, 02:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Olin Olin is offline

Default Source needed for Arizona grape vines (Vitis arizonica)

wrote in message
oups.com...

I'm helping some friends put in a small vineyard, and I thought a few
Arizona grape vines would be a nice addition to the mix. However, I'm
unable to find a source for these vines. In fact, most of the people
I've spoken with at local (Phoenix, AZ) nurseries have never even heard
of such a grape.

Anyone know of a source for these vines? I'm quite willing to start the
vines from seeds if that's my only option.

Hey Greg,

Canyon Grape, Vitis arizonica, is a wild grape that grows in canyons and
riparian areas in our AZ mid elevation deserts around the Verde valley. You
might try a nursery in Cottonwood or Clarkdale or maybe Sedona. Or try
Watters nursery in Prescott. But I suspect you may have hike the canyons in
April or May when it's green and blooming - see photo at
http://www.fireflyforest.com/flowers...s/plant22.html

Olin