Old 14-11-2006, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
MikeCT[_1_] MikeCT[_1_] is offline

Default Yew Tree

"Muddymike" wrote in a message:

Having recently joined the group, I am amazed at this question, it could
have been me asking it. I have recently taken on a garden containing yew
trees, I want to prune them, I have trouble with the fallen fruit, and my
name is also Mike.

Must get the chainsaw out next weekend.
---

I wonder how many Mikes have or have had yew trees growing in their
gardens? My parents had a lovely, very old yew tree growing in their front
garden. During WW2, all but one section of the impressive iron railings
guarding the garden were cut down and removed for bomb making!
The only bit left was the small section in front of the tree. That was in
order to stop the local farmer's cows from eating the leaves and berries,
not to stop my brother and I as toddlers, from running into the road. Later
I remember my father cut the middle out leaving only the side branches.
The poor tree was never quite the same afterwards, and still isn't.

MikeCT