Old 14-11-2006, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Another sorbus

In message , K
writes
Neil Jones writes

This is another sorbus different to the last one. Again it is a street tree.

The leaves are odd. Overall they give the impression of being conical but
they start with three pairs of compound leaflets followed by a conical
entire section of leaf which has indentations.

I'd assume the conical appearance is a result of stress, and not the
normal state.

THe berries are larger and fewer than a rowan and more in the manner of a
whitebeam.

It gives the impression of some kind of rowan Whitebeam cross but who knows.

Does anyone know what tree this is?

Very much from memory - I'll leave others to fill in details, or you to
Google.

Sorbus is roughly divided into Whitebeams, Rowans, and Service Tree.
There is the true Wild Service Tree, which is uncommon, and there is a
'false' service tree, which I think is a hybrid, which IIRC has the
leaves you describe.

******* Service Tree, Sorbus x thuringiaca, which is a hybrid between
the Rowan, Sorbus aucuparia, and the Whitebeam, Sorbus aria. There's all
sorts of hybrid Sorbus, but I don't know of any others with this form of
leaf.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley