View Single Post
  #8   Report Post  
Old 15-11-2006, 06:20 AM

First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Nov 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_jann
Hi, I'm new to this forum and wondered if anyone could give me some advice.

I know some bamboo species can be invasive but having planted it before and not having had much success in the past, I thought it would be okay planting one on the edge of my patio and fairly near to the pond we built a couple of years ago.

What a mistake it was to be as the bamboo has flourished and though looks beautiful, it has been breaking through the pond liner and thus reducing the level of water on a regular basis.
I have effectively 'buried my head in the sand' until now but the problem must be remedied as topping up the pond is becoming an almost daily task and I'm worried about the risk that reduced levels will have on the fish in the pond.

The liner is a heavy duty rubber one. Someone said to me that I could replace it with a special type of cement which would prevent subsequent bamboo shoots from breaking through.
Is this the case and if so, what is this type of cement called? Are there any other suggestions you may have? Any other material that will be impervious to bamboo shoots? Or will I simply have to dig up the bamboo. If so, you'll know, this will be very difficult to carry out successfully.
Thank you in advance.

I'm going to go right ahead and disagree with everyone. From my own personal experience, you CANNOT stop bamboo. It doesn't recognize moisture barriers like rubber liner (as you well know). Likewise, an underground concrete "wall" will do nothing more than slow the inevitable. Bamboo will find its way through pretty well ANYTHING. Just a matter of time before it breaks through the concrete too. You could try using a sheet metal barrier, but again, it will just work around the barrier. My recommendation...? I wish I had one. Unless you can kill ALL the bamboo... there is no fix. Sorry!