Old 15-11-2006, 05:55 AM posted to rec.gardens
sherwindu sherwindu is offline

Default Apple Tree From Seed

They can grow allright, but don't expect the resultant apples to taste anything
like
the apple the seeds came from. It's a genetic thing. The resultant apples are
some
combination of the original tree and whatever pollinated it. Almost always, the
resultant apples taste terrible. Instead, you should teach your kids how to
propagate
apple trees by grafting techniques. Check the web for more information.

Sherwin D.

Buck Turgidson wrote:

As a "teachable moment" with my little kids, I we put some seeds from some
apples we ate in a planter. Now, 6 weeks later, some appear to have
sprouted. Will these do well here in the DC area?

Thanks.