Old 15-11-2006, 10:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster Kay Lancaster is offline

Default Apple Tree From Seed

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 17:58:21 -0500, Buck Turgidson wrote:
As a "teachable moment" with my little kids, I we put some seeds from some
apples we ate in a planter. Now, 6 weeks later, some appear to have
sprouted. Will these do well here in the DC area?

It may depend on the winter ahead of you. Plants in planters tend to
experience much colder winter temps than those in the ground. And planters
tend to be either over- or underwatered. Which is a long way of saying
look first for yourself next spring, if you think the kids will be badly
disappointed if they apple seedlings didn't make it.