Old 15-11-2006, 10:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Autumn

In message , Rachel Aitch
writes

David Rance Wrote:

Overnight the leaves on the trees around here went yellow. Most
noticeable was a linden tree next door. Yesterday, no sign of leaves
dying. This morning the leaves are bright yellow!

I've never known it happen this quickly before. Is it something to do
with the lateness of leaf fall this year, I wonder?

I suspect it's the strange weather we've been having: I've noticed the
same thing in my own garden and in some clients' gardens.

The acers were the worst - instead of the usual autumn glory, I've been
seeing weeks of gradual browning, one day of red (or orange) and then
whoop! off they drop.

Anyone else?

Everything seems to be going yellow this neck of the woods this year -
no red in site. Even Acer cappadocicum, which usually shows some red,
and Fagus sylvatica (beech), which usually shows some russet, are
yellow.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley