Old 16-11-2006, 05:18 PM posted to rec.gardens
hob hob is offline

Default Apple Tree From Seed

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
As a "teachable moment" with my little kids, I we put some seeds from some
apples we ate in a planter. Now, 6 weeks later, some appear to have
sprouted. Will these do well here in the DC area?

maybe -

1) The seed is a DNA combination of the top portion of the tree holding your
apple, and the DNA of another tree somewhere nearby - and if it is a
commercially grown apple, it was likely one of the nearby trees was in the
same orchard.

2) many apple tops are grafted onto rootstocks, and your variety may have a
weak disease susceptible root, or the variety has a small root that doesn't
support a full tree of that type of apple without pinching.

3) I believe most apples are hardy in the DC area - so it should grow.

4) My father, a county agent, often said that you could never tell what kind
of apple you were going to get from an apple seed (Something about the fruit
not being the same from a seed as from a parent, even when the two parents
are of the same variety.)

so plant it, and see what happens.

If it survives the rabbits, the deer, the kids, poor soil and planting, and
the pollution, it will probably grow.

fwiw

Thanks.