Old 16-11-2006, 07:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga Diana Kulaga is offline

Default What are the issues?

We have our shows at the city Community Center. Right now, it's the only
venue large enough to accomodate us and the parking is pretty good. The
building has an electronic sign that advertises the show for a week in
advance, which is a nice supplement to our paid ads. And, like you, some
folks do find us by accident, though most intend to come.

Scripps Newspapers now has a function called www.yourhub.com. I don't know
if it is available everywhere, but we have made good use of it, and it's
free. Free is good, LOL!

As far as the mall shows go, you'd have to ask a Vendor how they do at them,
but I know that they are a nightmare for the judges. I have heard from a
few Vendors who have lost plants during shows like that; it has to be tough
to monitor all sides at once, and malls are Mecca to shoplifters. Of course,
people can steal at any venue, and I know of instances where it has happened
to individuals. Still, the displays are really unprotected in malls, subject
to everything from thieves to little kids. Just to add some more to the mix,
at a well run show, it shouldn't matter where a Vendor's booth is, but in a
mall someone really could be left out in the cold, at the end of the line,
for example. Shoppers get weary in malls, and start thinking about walking
all the way back to the entrance nearest their cars. Maybe it's just me. I
guess I'm a traitor to the female cause, because I *really* don't like
shopping, especially for clothes for myself. Yuck.

The problem with Botanical Gardens, as I see it, is weather. On a good day
it's great. If it rains, everyone is screwed.

Diana

"Nancy G." wrote in message
ups.com...

Diana Kulaga wrote:
I've been following this thread with great interest, but I haven't chimed
in
yet. Here goes.

This I can tell you all: our society is constantly looking for ways to
increase attendance, and it's not all self serving. We recognize that if
the
Vendors don't do well, they won't want to return. As it stands, we have a
waiting list of Vendors who wish to participate.

Where do you have your shows? The first show I went to was an
accident. The newspaper gave the wrong date and I thought I missed it.
On the way back from shopping I saw a banner outside the Senior Center
and stopped for it. I don't think they charged admission at that time.

I have since attended shows at Botanical Gardens in Birmingham and St
Louis, in malls in Gautier, MS, Chatanooga TN, and Louisville, KY. The
botanical gardens both charged admission, but it was discounted if you
intended to just see the orchid show. The society in Huntsville, AL,
couldn't get any of the malls in the area. I don't recall if it was
because of the price or the mall's refusal because of insurance
liability. They had the first I attended at the Senior Center, then
later years in an area motel's conference rooms.

The malls had the most viewers and was probably best for the venders
just because of normal mall traffic. The botanical gardens were also
busy. The cubby hole shows, such as the motel conference rooms, really
needed a lot of advertising and support. As stated before, if I had
not seen a banner "Orchid Show Today", on a road I drove frequently, I
would have missed it altogether.

Nancy