Old 17-11-2006, 04:41 AM posted to rec.gardens
Carl 1 Lucky Texan Carl 1 Lucky Texan is offline

Default Apple Tree From Seed

Kay Lancaster wrote:
On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 00:38:12 -0600, sherwindu wrote:

Why put all this effort into an apple tree that will produce lousy tasting
apples. I mean, isn't growing

You're sure about that? cv Delicious was a chance seedling (and they're
very nice apples when they haven't been subjected to storage!) Likewise,
most of the heirloom apples are chance seedlings, and I'll take a Cox's
Orange Pippin or an Arkansas Black over a Fuji any day.

Kids enjoy having their own plants... or at least I sure did. Kay's
Pear, while it never produced world-class commercial fruits, produced
acceptable home fruit, and it was *mine*. And I've gotten some
very good no-name apples out of local roadsides, probably planted by birds.

Sometimes, especially when you're a kid, it's nice to go against the
flow of uniformity and find out what happens in an uncontrolled
experiment.

Kay

Couldn't you just surreptitiously swap the seeds for known, 'quality'
cultivar seeds?

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)