Old 17-11-2006, 07:00 AM posted to rec.gardens
Farm1 Farm1 is offline

Default Apple Tree From Seed

"sherwindu" wrote in message
Kay Lancaster wrote:
On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 00:38:12 -0600, sherwindu

wrote:
Why put all this effort into an apple tree that will produce

lousy tasting
apples.

You're sure about that? cv Delicious was a chance seedling (and

they're

Naturally, only the successful chance seedlings were passed down

through the
years.

I think that many chance seedlings produce fruit that is not only
edible but quite good.

Each year we visit a lot of chance seedling trees and eat and harvest
the fruit. If we can beat the birds to them, most are good to very
good and those that aren't are fine for cooking. These trees grow
along a very quiet country road and we are sure have grown from apple
cores thrown from passing cars. There must be at least 100 of these
trees and we watch and check with interest each year.