Old 17-11-2006, 07:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default Kill filing

On 17/11/06 02:06, in article , "michael
adams" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message

If you - all of us - want this to be a real group we ALL have to
look after it. We ALL have to make sure it is not abused by
*anyone*.

Unfortunately that's simply not possible. Not in the way that you
suggest at least. Anyone is free to post on unmoderated NewsGroups.
And there are countless loonies and malcontents out there in Cyberspace
who are quite capable of being as disruptive as they like, anywhere
they like, just for the sake of it. Given the chance.

These people thrive on generating a response. Which is why its
impossible to argue with them, either singly or collectively
as a group.

The more response they generate, of any kind, the happier they will be.

The first objective of all such people is to get the regulars
arguing among themselves. If only arguing about the best way
to deal with the trolls. Plus different posters taking it in
turn to "take on" the trolls.

This never works. And it is this form of response which floods the
NewsGroup with off-topic material, rather than the trolls themselves
which has totally destroyed certain NewsGroups in the past.

It's by allowing the trolls and malcontents to become established
on NewsGroups, by acknowledging their very existence, which creates
the atmosphere which causes others to leave.

Killfiling or at least not responding to such people, who have
limitless time at their disposal it would seem, coupled with
an ability to wind people up, by telling bare faced lies about
them if necessary, is the only answer IMHO.

michael adams

I appreciate your thoughtful response but obviously, given what I posted
before, do not agree. I have seen another group totally destroyed - and I
do mean *totally* - because its regular members kill filed one person who
was not only trolling but was encouraging trolls. If you have Puke kill
filed, you will not have seen that she is now, for instance, starting to
respond to and encourage another vicious and persistent troll and others who
post here to no purpose other than to be facetious or post almost
exclusively off-topic. Sooner or later, she will have the entire group
reduced to that state and there will no longer be a group. We have been
warned of the damage she did to demon local by someone who posted there
regularly at one time and IMO, that is what she hopes to achieve here. I
have no idea why but it appears to be her idea of fun. If people use kill
files to such an extent as to be unaware of what is going on in a group and
able to express their extreme disapproval of bad behaviour immediately, then
the group disintegrates. In the last few weeks the traffic on urg has
tailed off dismally and seriously good and knowledgeable posters have
disappeared, some of them without saying a word - they're just not here any
more.
In my view, it is absolutely wrong that someone like Judith who is renowned
for her good manners and fairness, has her job threatened by the likes of
Puke who has insulted many people here and specifically targeted Judith for
foul language, too. Now, she is dragging in Judith's work and private life
*again*, using an old post sent by someone who was not posting here while
Puke has been and who would be lividly angry to know that he is being used
to harm Judith.
While I see your pov, I cannot agree with it when that sort of thing is
happening and don't think urg can be described as a group when it is allowed
to happen so persistently.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk