Old 17-11-2006, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
MikeCT[_1_] MikeCT[_1_] is offline

Default Chilli peppers

"Phil L" wrote in a message:
snip
I grew some from seeds sent to me by a poster in this group, they have an
excellent flavour and did really well in a plastic greenhouse planted
directly into the soil, I harvested them last week, some pix he

I dried a dozen out, for seeds and also for cooking or grinding into
powder, the rest I sliced into one inch pieces and froze in a bag, seeds
and all, I believe they taste almost fresh once defrosted, pickling takes
away all the heat and drying takes away most of the flavour but not the
heat, if you have a lot, use a few methods and see which is best for you /
your chillis.

---------
Thanks for your reply. Have you tried growing chillies from 'Supermarket'
seeds? Two years ago I collected and germinated seeds from a bottle of
Sainsbury's dried chillies. The five plants grew very well indeed, producing
many fruits, however, not one of them ever turned completely red. I finished
up with chillies of varying colours, red, dark purple and green.
This I found interesting, especially as the chillies in the picture on the
bottle were all a bright red. My chillies also lacked any heat, whereas
those in the bottle were very fiery. Thanks also to Mike Lyle for the Pepper
Sauce recipe, I'll make some this weekend.

MikeCT