Old 23-03-2003, 06:08 AM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

Default squirls

keith nuttle wrote:

gary wrote:
I read some where that you can discourage squirrels in bird feeders using
cayenne pepper. How do you mix it. Is effective?

Thanks in advance

Gary

All of the comments about capturing the squirrel and relocating it,
remind me of the joke about the man who is trying to get rid of the cat,
each time he takes it further from his home but the cat always beats him
home. The last time he takes the out and the cat gets back rather
quickly. Hours later the wife gets a call from the man who asked if the
cat is back and if so can she ask him for direction he can use to get home.

The only squirrel proof bird feeder I ever had, I created by accident. I
hung the feeder on a branch on a tree, using two straighten coat
hangers. When the squirrel tried to come from above the joint between
the hangers would throw him off. When they tried to jump they would get
thrown off by the swing of the bird feeder. After about three years a
couple got the technique down, but only a couple learned to control the
jump so as not to swing the feeder.

Perky Pet sells a weight sensitive, spring loaded, square tubular feeder
for about $20.00. Birds don't weigh enough to shut the feeder ports,
but squirrels do. Mine's worked perfectly for the last two years.