Old 17-11-2006, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default Experiences please of effectiveness of Nematodes v Vine weevil killer

Charlie Pridham wrote:
So far as I know it is not very effective against mealy bug, but then with
nothing else eating them in the uk something is better than nothing! (I
still prefer using a toothbrush to squash them), and I forgot to mention
root aphid/mealybug which it totally got rid of, so it very effective at
that, the reduction of white fly has made life in the conservatory easier,
and yes I do still use it in there despite the bee problem.

No honey for you then. Wasps are good predators of mealy bugs aren't
they? But in a conservatory it's totally different. I don't know enough
about growing on a regular basis there. I use my conservatory/verandah
as a propagator until May, then it turns into a kind of lounge I
suppose. Have you tried the ladybirds and the little mite Hypoaspis as
predators? I'm not sure how they would work in winter whilst the pests
are overwintering in your conservatory. Do you use the spray once,
twice a year?