Old 17-11-2006, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default An explanation of departures

BAC wrote:
An American sports commentator, Dan Cook, used to say "The opera ain't over
until the fat lady sings", (presumably he was forced to watch one Wagnerian
epic too many) and that may be the origin, although he probably adapted it
from an American deep South saying, "Church ain't out til the lady sings".

The famous American sportsman and coach Yogi Berra also said "It ain't over
until it's over", and I know some people also attributed the 'fat lady' to
him, but, as he is also quoted as having said, "I never said half the things
I really said", so he probably never said it at all :-)

) Ta. I like that name Yogi. Must remember for the next errr....
hamster.