Old 17-11-2006, 07:59 PM posted to rec.gardens
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Can the Potato Seeds Grow into Potatoes?

qquito wrote:
Hello, Everybody:

To actually grow potatoes, we chop potatoes into chunks making sure
that each has at least one sprout "eye" and use these chunks as seeds.

However, I noticed that the potato plants above the ground blossom and
then bear small fruits about the size of cherry tomatoes, and these
fruits have small seeds in them.

What if we plant these seeds into the soil? Will they grow into
potatoes?

Yes. There is a potato variety -- I think the name is "Explorer" --
that is grown from seeds. But there is a reason we generally grow
potatoes from eyes rather than seeds. (Because it works better.)

By the way, are these fruits edible?

No, they are poisonous.

Best regards,
Bob