Old 17-11-2006, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert[_3_] Robert[_3_] is offline

Default new boy, no understand?

In message , Bob Hobden
writes

Mike Rogers wrote
What gives here? I joined this group in the hope of expanding my knowledge
of gardening having taken on a large (about an acre) once grand, now
overgrown town garden. I am now wondering whether to stay for fear of
attack from some members of this group. In a few days of membership I have
been reading more bitching and hate on this NG than I can recall ever
reading elsewhere.

Is it always like this?

Lately it seems to be, but before some arrived it was fine. I suspect they
are simply trolls trying to do what all vandals do, destroy good things
because they can't do anything worthwhile themselves. Rather sad really.

Is it worth hanging around for the garden talk to start?

It's still here if you ignore the crap, just that some some very
knowleagable gardeners, including professionals, have left due mainly to
Helene (Puce) and the way she has treated other long time regulars here who
had the audacity to corrcet some of the advice she gave.

Is there a real gardening NG somewhere?

This used to be the real deal. I hope it will return to the old URG soon but
in the meantime just ignore the rubbish like me and keep posting.

Will I attract the abuse now?

I doubt it, however, I might. :-)

Bob - I think that you may be forgetting some of the ups and downs of
urg over the years. I can remember several spats in the past which
developed into relatively prolonged stroppy exchanges - names such as
Andy M and Alan H come to mind and there was a 'Morley' (sp) who used to
get very exercised about leylandii. Whilst everyone appreciates that
there are bound to be idiots and trolls on ngs it appears that
unfortunately some people just cannot ignore them and get on with life,
which is rather sad as such infernal wranglings do tend to distract
others from the on topic threads.
--
Robert