Old 16-11-2006, 08:29 AM posted to rec.gardens
George.com George.com is offline

Default cats and new gardens

"perigrine" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

I have just planted out some sweet corn seeds in a newly cultivated
patch of dirt and after watching one of my five cats closely have been
trying to work out how to keep her [them] from using the area as a
toilet - at least until the seedlings are big enough to handle
trespassers.

I thought about a lattice fence - decided they would jump over that.
Then thought of a chicken wire fence, but thought that would need a
'roof.' Thought of keeping the sprinkler nearby, to either keep the
soil damp or to turn on when one approached the area but then I would
have to watch it 24 hours a day.

Any other suggestions?

get some lazy cats. By this I mean the experience I have with my moggs. The
lazy shits don't actually bother digging a hole, they just poop on top of
the soil. If they do bother to try and cover it the 1/2 hearted scraping of
some soil invariably results in soil being relocated everywhere but on top
of the poop. Perhaps a more useful suggestion may be to set up a mound of
earth elsewhere for them to use. I put a load on soil in the corner of may
garden and the cats got used to going there.

rob