Old 18-11-2006, 03:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster Kay Lancaster is offline

Default Can the Potato Seeds Grow into Potatoes?

On 16 Nov 2006 21:19:57 -0800, qquito wrote:
However, I noticed that the potato plants above the ground blossom and
then bear small fruits about the size of cherry tomatoes, and these
fruits have small seeds in them.

What if we plant these seeds into the soil? Will they grow into
potatoes?

Yup. They're unlikely to replicate the parent line, though. But if
you've got the space, it can be an interesting exercise. In the US,
most potatoes are produced vegetatively -- but CIP has been working
with true seed varieties:
http://www.cipotato.org/potato/Seed_systems/TPS/tps.htm

By the way, are these fruits edible?

Toxic. Even if they do look like green cherry tomatoes.

Kay