Old 23-03-2003, 08:08 AM
Larry Stoter

Default cats

Little Badger wrote:

Larry
How would you propose to 'Trap' a cat in your garden without hurting it or
distressing it in any way?

Badger

snips ........

There are cage-type traps available for animals of cat size. Provided
the trap contained food and water and/or the trapped animal was not left
inside for a long period, I do not believe cruelty would occur, although
the animal would possibly be distressed.

Incidentally, if the animal is a stray, it would seem that it can be
shot. There was a case recently where somebody who had done this was
prosecuted for cruelty and found not guilty. Of course, the risk is that
it is difficult to tell if an animal is a stray until you have checked
it for tags, etc. In my suburban garden, shooting would not be an option
anyway and I would personally not wish to kill a cat anyway - I would
sooner hand it to somebody to euthanase with drugs.
--
Larry Stoter