Old 23-03-2003, 08:08 AM
Larry Stoter

Default cats

mandy thomas wrote:

snips ....

How do you suggest people train their cats to stay out of your garden?

Not really my problem - if an owner can't train it to remain in the
garden, then keep it indoors or in a fenced area in the garden.

I don't have a cat, and I don't like them leaving a mess in my garden but I
just accept them as one of those fairly minor inconveniences that I can't do
anything about.

But I don't consider it a minor inconvenience, especially when they
urinate and defaecate on the veg. And toxoplasma gondii is not a minor
inconvenience to anybody who is pregnant.

As long as it's legal to own cats, and to allow them outside, then there's
not a whole lot you can do about it. Best not to get too het up about things
you can't change.

Well, the hope is that the government panel currently considering
toxoplasma gondii will decide that cats need controlling.

And while the things that can be done are limited, there are
possibilities. For example, 12 or more cats may be considered as a cat
sanctuary which needs planning permission. And, in principle, local
environmental health bodies have the power to act against an animal that
is a health hazard which parents could well argue in the case of animals
defaecating around young children.

--
Larry Stoter