Old 18-11-2006, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore Pam Moore is offline

Default Strawberries in planters

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 11:12:43 -0000, "Roger"
wrote:

I recall as a lad that we covered our strawberries in the ground with straw
during the winter to protect them frost [I think].

Where do you live? Is it very cold?
I put straw round the strawberry plants in summer to keep the fruit
off the soil. After fruiting I remove the straw and cut off all the
old leaves. The plants look quite sad over winter, but burst into
growth next year. I've never lost plants to frost and they are on an
exposed allotment in Somerset.

Pam in Bristol