Old 18-11-2006, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default Anyone know their Acacias?

On 18/11/06 17:32, in article , "Charlie
Pridham" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 18/11/06 15:06, in article
,
"Chris Hogg" wrote:

In a corner of the Memorial Gardens of Penlee House in Penzance is an
unusual acacia (mimosa), the size of a small tree, that is still
carrying some flower. These are unlike any of the acacias described in
e.g. the RHS A-Z Encyclo or Phillip and Rix's 'Conservatory and Indoor
Plants'. They are primrose yellow, and rather than being the usual
fluffy little pom-poms, are quite elongated, giving the whole raceme
the appearance more of a bottle-brush than an acacia. The leaves are
bipinnate, typical of many acacias, and the seed pods are 10 - 15 cm
long. Seeds are black, oval, between 4 and 8 mm long, say 10 - 12 to a
pod, well spaced and plentiful. Needless to say I gathered quite a
few.

Can anyone identify which acacia this might be?

Sounds like A. verticillata.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

No, I think that one has needle like leaves (prickly mosses)

Very. It's bitten me many times in the pond greenhouse!

what about A
longiflora?
although I would have said it was more willow like in its
foliage.

I think you might mean A. longifolia and yes, I think you're probably right.

PH gave us a bunch of mimosa the other day that had even more willow like
foliage and the most powerful scent I have ever encountered. A. retinodes,
I *think* but not bottle brush-y flowers.

Silly moi, I didn't see the leaf description from the OP.