Old 18-11-2006, 11:36 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Srgnt Billko Srgnt Billko is offline

Default Charging an 8 Volt tractor battery

"Chas Hurst" wrote in message
. ..

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message

"Chas Hurst" wrote in message
. ..

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message
Most old tractors use 6 volt batteries. It is common practice to stick
8 volt batteries in them to give them a little more zap. No changes
are necessary - their systems can handle it.

My problem is how to charge an 8 volt battery when it has been sitting
for a while and has been worn down. I have three battery chargers - a
12V 10-30-50 amp, a 12V 2 or 10 amp, and a 6 or 12 volt 4 amp.

I went to a local battery plave and the guy told me to use 12 volt low
amperage. Thoughts ?

I would charge it on 6V.
Did you adjust the tractor's voltage regulator to charge the battery at
the higher voltage?

I am told that most 6 volt regulators charge at 8 volts.

That is true. An 8V battery needs a 9V charge, and a 12V battery needs
14V.
Your 8V battery will not be fully charged on 8V and will be not much more
powerfull than a 6V battery.

Be that as it may, they turn the motor over faster and last longer.