Old 23-03-2003, 09:44 AM
Rev. J. Toad

Default Absolute rank never-done-nothing beginner. Help!

Hey there folks...

Just in time for spring, a month ago I was diagnosed with type 2
diabetes. Besides getting into an exercise regimen for the first time
in my life, this has necessitated a complete 180 in terms of my
eating. Gone are the days of frozen & packaged food, I cook everything
myself now. It's only been a few weeks, but I feel great.

Having read about how cool it is to grow and eat your own food, I'm
eager to try it out for myself this summer, especially since I'm in a
massive personal evolution right now and I'd like to tack on as much
good new stuff as I can.

So here's what I've got:

-a MASSIVE yard, which I hate mowing, and thus want to dedicate as
much as possible to vegetables, and maybe a few flowers.
-a burning desire to do this.
-absolutely no idea how to get started.

With this in mind, are there any good websites or definitive print
tomes I should check out? The snow is almost melted (I'm in Winnipeg,
Manitoba), so I should probably start this week sometime. I'll either
rent a rototiller or hire someone to clear out a big patch.

Also, if anyone is from this area and knows the best stuff to grow in
this soil/climate and can give me any area-specific pointers, much
appreciated.

So, if anyone can give me any advice on getting started on this, I'd
be muy grateful.

"As a member of the Consumer Electronics Association, Sony joined the
chorus of support for Napster against the legal onslaught from Sony
and the other music giants seeking to shut it down. As a member of
the RIAA, Sony railed against companies like Sony that manufacture
CD Burners."
-Frank Rose, Wired Magazine