Old 19-11-2006, 01:55 PM
philcooper philcooper is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycruzer
I've heard that many farmers have to hand pull volunteer potatoes that
are discovered in rotational crops such as onions and carrots. Perhaps
in this situation the use of weed killers is not effective? For some
reason, the farmers remove the entire tuber, not just the green
foliage. My understanding is that these are not organic farmers but
traditional farmers. This is obviously a very expensive operation
because of the labor involved. Why would they hand pull the volunteer
potatoes if it were not necessary for some reason?
I hadn't spotted any farmers hand pulling weeds in the UK, smallholders may because they are interested in higher quality crops and have smaller areas to cover. As I said, this also reduces the chances of spreading soil-borne disease
Phil