Old 19-11-2006, 07:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default Brrrrrr

On 18/11/06 22:56, in article
, "judith lea"
wrote:

Baal wrote:

Visited my dad this afternoon who had planned to lift his dahlia tubers but
felt too tired. Insisted I did the digging for him. Took me just a little
while (bit younger and fitter).

So pleased as they are now lifted and drying in a more appropriate
environment than frozen/frosty ground!.

Baal, why do you lift them? I have a lot of Dahlia and when I planted
them I put them in deeper than recommended on a thin bed of sand and
despite dreadful East of England winters they survive.

We tend to put a mulch over ours - dead leaves, big pile of spent compost,
that sort of thing. But of course, it's not usually as hard a winter here
as it is in other parts of the country. Ray also takes cuttings from our
favourites, just as a precaution.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk