Old 23-03-2003, 09:56 AM
Allegra

Default Some feedback needed for a garden project.

Emil requested information:

Allegra, what is the difference between using cardboard and using
newspaper? I own a clothing store, so getting cardboard isn't a problem.

Thanks for everybodys help so far!

Emil :-)
--

Hello Emil,

Newspaper tends to disintegrate faster than cardboard and
newspapers don't hold on to the weight of either soil, mulch
or gravel for example as well as cardboard does. In other
words, you would have to make the surface very flat and
if you plan to use newspapers the minimum amount to use
is between 4 to 6-inch in order to give you the stability
2 inches of cardboard will give you under foot. Make
sure to wet the cardboard well before adding the gravel
and if you want the gravel not to rock, then add about a
2-inch bed of sand, then add the gravel and it will take
a long time in your climate for that area to sink under
any kind of weight, be it walking, sitting or jumping ;)

And honestly I thought you were talking about making
some beds around the area and leave the middle or
the center for sitting. Go ahead and get that Sunset
anyway, it will give you some good ideas to create
that kind of space. Take a look at what they did with
gravel and some -I guess- 24-inch pavers. We did
something similar with fine river rock and put big
squares at an angle, then sprinkled the whole thing
with sky blue tumbled glass and more than once
we have been told that it looks as if petals have
fallen off even in winter. It is very useful and quite
attractive.

At any rate, good luck. I am sure with your spirit
and enthusiasm you will have that place in top shape
in no time flat.

Allegra