Old 19-11-2006, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default Two plant IDs please

We have two plants we were given and neither we nor the donor know the
variety. The first is a climbing nasturtium which in a pot, in an unheated
polytunnel, has gone to 8' and is spreading along the wires. It still has
flower buds on it. The seeds came from a friend whose nephew brought them
back from Chile - so perhaps you begin to see the difficulty in getting an
ID! The flowers are orange with a 3 to 4" long stem and a spur that is 1.5
to 2" long. The inside of the flower has darker orangey/red, very fine
stripes right in the throat of the two larger top petals and each of the
three smaller low petals has a red blotch on it and is fringed. I should
think each flower is probably about 1" diameter. It's a really charming
plant and both vigorous and floriferous and we'd love to know what it is.
The second plant was given to us by someone in Wales who has a conservatory
full of exotic plants. He says this is a Passiflora and he calls it the
Passion Flower Tree. It isn't the usual climbing and twining Passiflora but
it has a trunk, currently about 2" thick at the bottom, without any branches
but with very large leaves about 1' long and 8" across at their present
best. It was a bit frail when it came here so it hasn't flowered yet.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk