Old 19-11-2006, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jim Paterson Jim Paterson is offline

Default Sweet peas

"Michael" wrote in message
news
Not a newbie, but it's been a few years since I visited here.

I put out some sweat peas a couple of weeks ago and unfortunately with the
(reasonably) warm weather they've now reached about 5 inches in height and
I wondered if it would be OK to nip the tops off to stop them growing for
a while? I've usually done my sweet peas at this time of year and they've
got to about 3inches then stopped until the spring when they have a head
start :-/

--
TTFN

Michael

Please Please, SWEETpeas not perspiration peas!
If you are growing for exhibition and intend to set out cordon fashion then
leave them in their pots and after planting out reduce the stems to the
strongest one. (Not always the longest)
If growing bush fashion for garden decoration then by all means pinch out
the leading shoot. However the leading shoot usually dies away and it is the
side shoots which grow on. It is when the plants are still quite young that
you pinch out the leading shoot to encourage side shoots.
Very often you will get naturally occuring side shoots anyway.