Old 20-11-2006, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
judith lea judith lea is offline

Default Anyone know their Acacias?

Bob Hobden wrote:
not that most would know the difference,
anything with yellow pompom flowers will do. Albizia julibrissin is the Silk
Tree here and I can't ever say I've seen it for sale anywhere as flowering
stems.

I have to say I agree with that Bob, I had a mimosa growing as a mature
tree in my conservatory many years ago. It flowered every Christmas
and as you can imagine, yellow pom-poms everywhere - and I have to
admit to my inexpert knowledge by admitting I have no idea what the
real name was

I think garden centres, this was bought at Notcutts, should give a some
more information when one is purchasing, I cannot remember anying other
the general name on the label. These days I would go to a nursery
where the owners not only sell you a plant, but ensure that you are
informed fully on its history and care before taking it home.