Old 20-11-2006, 02:58 PM
Rachel Aitch Rachel Aitch is offline
Registered User

Location: South Oxfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_E

.... above mentioned tree will fill the space in which I wanted to place it. When purchased it didn't give me any idea of it's growth rate or average size...

... is grafted and currently stands about 15-20 inches tall in a 7ltr pot
Hi Doug,

I'm not an expert on Acers, but anything that's been grafted will grow according to the rootstock, not according to the named top part. So knowing the name of it won't help you to find accurate information in this case.

To some extent, keeping it in a pot will keep it smaller than if it were planted in the ground.

Also, Acers are susceptible to cold winds (they don't like it up 'em!) so planting it in a pot has the advantage that you can move it, if it seems to be suffering from wind scorch.

Hope this helps, and I'm sure someone knowledgeable will be along soon!
www.Rachel-The-Gardener.co.uk (still building website, don't expect too much!)
Jobbing Gardener, South Oxfordshire
Living Willow Sculptures and Plant Sales