Old 23-03-2003, 11:32 AM

Default cats

"Larry Stoter" wrote in message
o.uk...
: Little Badger wrote:
:
: Larry
: How would you propose to 'Trap' a cat in your garden without hurting it
or
: distressing it in any way?
:
: Badger
:
: snips ........
:
: There are cage-type traps available for animals of cat size. Provided
: the trap contained food and water and/or the trapped animal was not left
: inside for a long period, I do not believe cruelty would occur, although
: the animal would possibly be distressed.
:
: Incidentally, if the animal is a stray, it would seem that it can be
: shot. There was a case recently where somebody who had done this was
: prosecuted for cruelty and found not guilty. Of course, the risk is that
: it is difficult to tell if an animal is a stray until you have checked
: it for tags, etc. In my suburban garden, shooting would not be an option
: anyway and I would personally not wish to kill a cat anyway - I would
: sooner hand it to somebody to euthanase with drugs.
: --
: Larry Stoter

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't believe animal charities' policy is to
euthanase a healthy animal. Certainly it is not the policy of Cats
Protection. They will neuter all animals that come to their centres,
microchip them and find a loving home for them, which has to be inspected
before a cat is allowed to reside there. I do wish people would concern
themselves with cruelty and neglect of animals rather than get paranoid
about what they are doing or may do to their precious gardens. I love my
very old rescued cat and my garden and all the creatures that pass through
it.