Old 20-11-2006, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Slightly OT

"judith lea" wrote ...

Sacha wrote:

OTOH Le Troubadour from Chateau Romanin has a rather sickly (to my mind)
pic
of a languid lady and gent on it but I know it's a delicious wine, as is
Cloudy Bay with a mountain scape on the label and a setting (or rising)
sun
on their Pelorus and Fetzer with a tree and a vineyard. ;-)

Oh my Goodnes, Cloudy Bay, (New Zealand, Sauvignon Blance or
Chardonnay) - Heavenly but also with a hellish price. I can't afford
to drink Cloudy Bay too often, even if I could get it, it is a small
production and difficult to get at a reasonable price. Jackson Estate
@ £9.99 at Sainsbury's comes a very, very close second and it is the
most marvellous, gooseberry smelling nectar I have ever tasted and that
includes wines from the best vineyards and appelation controlee in
France or indeed elsewhere - of course, it is a matter of taste and my
husband would disagree awith my choice, he would poo poo this and say
that a good Burgundy by Bouchard, Pere et Fils is far superior - all it
really proves is that a wine is good only if you enjoy it and I have
enjoyed wines that cost the minimum.

Sue and I don't like heavily oaked wines (do people really like their wine
tasting of sawdust?) so a lot of the new world wines which tend to be
heavily oaked (they use oak chippings in their stainless steel vats!) are
horrid to our taste. We also don't like the Chardonnay grape, makes an
"oily" wine.
We tend to go for French reds, Cotes de Rhone (Cellier de Dauphine is cheap
and very drinkable), Boujoulais Village (Negocient - Louis Jadot, is
excellent value), Fleurie, Margaux, Volney and St.Emilion (the last two are
overpriced and over hyped these days IMO).
Whites and Rose we buy from New Hall Vineyard in Essex (biggest acreage of
vines in the UK), has that superb and distinctive English wine taste
(because the vines are under stress in our climate?) that no other white
wine seems to be able to match. He makes Dry, Medium Dry and Sparkling as
well as Light Red (Rose) and Red.

--
Regards
Bob H