Old 20-11-2006, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat shazzbat is offline

Default what is an allottment?

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"clarissa" wrote
Hi everyone or anyone I am not sure what an allottment is in the UK -

SNIP

The term "Yard" over here is used for a "Builders yard" or "Breakers yard"
or similar, somewhere commercial and usually a bit messy, we don't use the
term for our gardens around our homes which are either Front Gardens or
Back Gardens.

What they all said, and more besides. Some are privately owned, some are
rented out by councils and allotment societies, ours is Administered by an
estate agent, but belongs to a local landowner. You can see ours here -

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/steveandmaggiesplot

No livestock allowed on ours, and no water provided, but for GBP 20.00 per
year we can live with that. There are some good allotment clips on youtube
etc.

Steve