Old 21-11-2006, 05:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Farm1 Farm1 is offline

Default Anyone know their Acacias?

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Farm1" wrote after "Bob Hobden" replied

In the UK Mimosa is usually A. dealbata but I too have seen other

Wattles
sold as Mimosa in florists, not that most would know the difference,
anything with yellow pompom flowers will do.

One of my mob then. :-)) Yellow pom-poms means it's wattle or what
you lot call mimosa.

Albizia julibrissin is the Silk
Tree here

Yeah same here - and dodgy - tends to get borers and dies at the drop
of a hat. A bit too cold for it here.

It's actually not grown much in the UK compared to A. dealbata of

which
there are some fine examples locally, with the one on St.Anns Hill,

Chertsey
being the biggest/best I've seen anywhere. (and yes I have been to

Oz)

I would think it hasn't been there for long given how short lived
wattles usually are.

The wattles probably are thuggish over your neck of the woods, they

don't
tend to be here. :-)

I think you treat them too well in the UK. The natural thing for
acacias is to be pioneer species and to put nitrogen into the soil and
then to produce 64 squillion seeds and then to die off quickly (and
then to be a further thug and blunt chainsaw teeth when chopped for
fire wood). All the Oz plants I've seen in the UK look too well
looked after.