Old 21-11-2006, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
John Kelly John Kelly is offline

Default what is an allottment?

Bob Hobden wrote:
"clarissa" wrote
Hi everyone or anyone I am not sure what an allottment is in the UK - is
it
just a name for the yard around one's house? In Canada it generally means
portion of a communal land area where those without yards can garden.

The term "Yard" over here is used for a "Builders yard" or "Breakers yard"
or similar, somewhere commercial and usually a bit messy, we don't use the
term for our gardens around our homes which are either Front Gardens or Back
Gardens.

Doesn't that depend on which part of the country you're from. My parents
always called it the back yard although we also had a front garden.

--
John Kelly

remove dimspam if replying by email