Old 21-11-2006, 06:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Al[_1_] Al[_1_] is offline

Default Pong: K Barrett

There must be over a dozen at this point with Millie in the name. But I
can't say who (or what) she is. Nor would I want to see you crack up so
close to the holidays. I am using the pattern "Millie's adjective noun" for
grexes I have made, although there are exceptions.

There's a whole bunch of "Bette's" too; like Bette's Fay Wilson, Bette's
Alabama Brent, Bette's Dallas O'Mara, etc. These are movie roles Bette
Davis played when she was alive. Don't think she has done anything
recently. I have only seen about 3 movies with her in them that I can think
of, but she played 64 named characters in movies during her career. I am
using this group to name grexes I did not make but was given permission to
register for one reason or another. Although there are exceptions. I am
saving some of the real famous ones for Oscar winning plants....if
any....not that it is possible to actually reserve names, anyone can use
them...

I did a string of Rex Stout Characters; but I got tired of it. There is an
Inspector Cramer. A Purley Stebbins. An Archie Goodwin. A Theodore
Horstmann. A Fritz Brenner. A Sally Colt. And a Lily Rowan. There is a
Nero Wolfe too, but George Vasquez beat me too it. And he has never even
read a Rex Stout novel, or so he said when I asked at an IPA years ago. I
was toying with the idea of naming all the criminals Wolfe fingered, but
like I said, I got tired of it.

For what it's worth, there is a host of odd groups of orchid names hidden in
the database. Somebody is (or was) slowly naming orchids after character's
in "Lord of the Rings", it has been going on years. Mostly elves, IIRC.

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
Would you mind sharing who Millie is? *G*! I saw you registered 5 orchids
with Millie in the name. A friend of mine uses Tamara in his names. I
cracked up when I found out it was his cat. I suppose its a reward for
not chewing their leaves...

K Barrett