Old 21-11-2006, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pat Gardiner Pat Gardiner is offline

Default Raspberry Variety

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...

Pat Gardiner wrote:
If it is John Squire, I think Muir stocked it about six years ago. It did
not do that well for me and it is being removed at the moment.

About 4 years ago with my neighbour we've planted Octavia and Glen
ample which was a perfect combination for constant fruits - no more
room in the freezer!! We've got another plot with around 15 plants late
fruiting but we don't know what they are. These are really old but
amazingly enough we get a really good cropping. We've found that the
soil is unusually acidic and a bit on a slope and that we think is
making a difference.

I planted John Squire, Galante, Fall Gold and Autumn Bliss in 2001.

The first two did not thrive, the second two did well with very good virus
free crops. Over the last couple of years, the bed has deteriorated
generally and I'm planting a new raised bed this year, plus some on more
open ground.

The soil on the raised bed, originally heavy clay has been much improved
with compost and spent potting compost. It remains fairly alkeline.

If anyone has had good results on similar soil, I would be very interested
to hear of the varieties

Raspberrries always seem to give trouble for me, but the autumn fruiting
varieties are better.

--
Regards
Pat Gardiner