Old 23-03-2003, 01:32 PM
Charlie

Default cats

The only way you could keep a cat in a garden would be by building a roof
over the garden and by dropping the fence a few feet into the ground! We're
friendly with most our neighbours and I would have thought that they would
say something. As I said, they all feed him so they obviously don't mind
him!

Anyway, I was just wondering what your ideas were.

Charlie.

"Larry Stoter" wrote in message
o.uk...
Charlie wrote:

I've been following this thread for a while and I have a question. How

do
you expect owners to "control" cats? This is by no means meant to be an
argument, but simply a question.

Not really my problem, is it?

Although there do seem to be cat owners who do manage to exercise
control over their animals. Personally, I would say it should be kept
indoors or in a purpose-built fenced area in the garden.

My cat is 14 years old but still climbs my trees and catches birds.

(which
I have no objection, we have loads nesting round our house and garden

and it
only serves to keep this population down). He goes into other gardens,

but
we've had no complains, most of them feed him anyway! He attacks any

cats
that attempts to come into our garden (they learn pretty quickly) and he
doesn't cause hassle to anyone. Am I a responsible owner?

Sorry, just wondered how to control my cat more efficiently!

Charlie.

I feel you are relying on your neighbours tolerance to avoid properly
controling your cat. It might be polite to actually check with your
neighbours if they object.

Cat are efficient predators and by nature kill birds and small mammals
but pet cats are probably of no threat to any bird species. Although,
even House Sparrow populations are dropping dramatically in some parts
of the country.

Feral cats may be more of a problem to certain endangered species. My
objection is that I prefer wild birds and attact numerous species into
my garden by providing food and water. I don't feel it is fair to expose
them to predators who have been given a competitive edge although I have
no difficulties with natural predators.

Sorry, but I would consider that it is irresponsible to allow your cat
to wander outside your garden.

Larry Stoter

---