Old 22-11-2006, 07:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
sherwindu sherwindu is offline

Default Split branch on orange tree

The topic of suckers has been covered, but your other problem with the split
branches can be addressed. If this is a main leader or large branch, it may be
worthwhile to try and save it. You can try splinting it. This would have had a

better chance of success if it was done very shortly after the break, but you
can
give it a try anyways. What you should do in the future is thin your fruit to
relieve
weight on the branches. Also, I prop up heavier laden branches with lumber that

has two nails to maintain position and some cushioning material against the
branch.

Sherwin D.

Daniel Prince wrote:

"aem" wrote:

Daniel Prince wrote:
A branch on our Moro Blood Orange tree has split. I think it was
because of the weight of the fruit. I have propped the branch up so
that it is no longer sagging so much.

Do we need to do something about the split or can we leave it the
way it is?

You don't need to do anything about that kind of split. You should
prune away those sucker branches, though, as well as any
downward-growing branches. -aem

By "sucker branches" do you mean those little ones that are going
straight up?
--
My previous cat, Rocket would play "monster" with me. I would
assume the threat posture of a bear and make a scarry noise (usually