Old 22-11-2006, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle[_1_] Mike Lyle[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Default The Best seeds?

Mervyn Thomas wrote:
I have been saving seeds from butternut squash and notice that different
fruits have widely different sizes of seeds. Does anyone know whether the
size of seen has any bearing on the suitability for planting or should only
the biggest seeds be used?

Size as such may not matter, but I'd choose only the plumpest ones:
like many fruits used as food, these things are harvested before they
reach maturity, and a lot of the seeds will be undeveloped. You'll have
so many that you could try testing a selection for germination right
away: this won't give you usable plants with our winter coming on, but
would be interesting.

I think the consensus is that you'll be lucky if you get a useful crop
of butternut squashes in British conditions: I managed OK many years
ago, during a heatwave ('76, I think it was), but the fruits weren't
supermarket size, and, as far as I remember, I've never tried again.

--
Mike.