Old 22-11-2006, 11:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
John McMillan John McMillan is offline

Default Crocosmia

In article ,
"BAC" wrote:

"mertin" wrote in message
oups.com...
My cousin brought me 50 HUGE Amaryllis Belladonna bulbs and a couple
hundred crocosmia.

The Belladonna I planted them immediatly. I did this in the past and
they have survived quite well...

The Crocosmia (I know that for some of you they are weeds), I do not
know what to do... some have the folliage (a couple still have the
flower) others is just the bulbs with lots of soil... The place where I
want to plant them is still not ready. so what should I do? should I
leave them to dry and keep the bulbs? Plant them somewhere else and
then move them in the spring?

Late summer to autumn is the best time to split/move crocosmia, so I've
always been told, but I was given some 'transplants' in the spring a couple
of years ago, and they have done very well.

Perhaps you have enough to try both options, i.e. dry half and move the
other half?

Ha! do what you like with them. They're indestructable anyway. I think
I'd put them in a plastic carrier bag outdoors with the foliage pushing
out of the top. In spring (or the spring after...) you can plant them
where you want them. Provided that the soil doesn't get waterlogged
for too long they'll be happy.