Old 22-11-2006, 05:56 PM
Rachel Aitch Rachel Aitch is offline
Registered User

Location: South Oxfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewlssss
Can anyone recommend a houseplant that will survive on a stairs landing that
has very little natural light?
Hi Jewlssss,

I'd suggest Peace Lily, or Spathiphyllum: available from places like B&Q or Homebase, they like it very shady. I have some that have been down the back of the settee for about two years (really must find a home for them)and they're lush!

You'll recognise one when you see it - big leaves on long stalks, and white flowers, usually appearing singly, on a stiff upright stem. A big favourite with interior designers at the moment, very trendy in matte black vases, apparently.

All they need is very low light, reasonable warmth (a normal centrally heated house would be fine) and not too much water. I let mine get quite dry, then I flood them. They seem to respond well. Think "rainforest" and you'll be fine.

Good luck!
www.Rachel-The-Gardener.co.uk (still building website, don't expect too much!)
Jobbing Gardener, South Oxfordshire
Living Willow Sculptures and Plant Sales