Old 22-11-2006, 02:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default Crocosmia

BAC wrote:
Late summer to autumn is the best time to split/move crocosmia, so I've
always been told, but I was given some 'transplants' in the spring a couple
of years ago, and they have done very well.
Perhaps you have enough to try both options, i.e. dry half and move the
other half?

I had thought that too. I keep the bulbs I don't want to use in a shoe
box AFTER I've dried them for a few days on some newspaper. I have also
moved them in spring when just starting to shoot up without any
problems. Crocosmia will multiply and so given the OP has 100s ... I
think loosing a few wouldn't be a problem. I have however have had
problems with depth. I have a planter who has given me a lot of leaves
and very little flowers ... I wouldn't keep them in a plastic bag
outdoors as I'd be worried the bulbs would rot.