Old 22-11-2006, 09:21 PM posted to rec.gardens
Tater Tater is offline

Default pruning and transplanting plum *bushes*

simy1 wrote:
If you think you are getting enough plums, perhaps you should sacrifice
2 trees and keep three - that would double your spacing. If they are
all fresh eating, poor keeping varieties, that is probably what I would
do. No family can dispatch the fruit of five trees ripening all at once
(unless you have chickens). Stanley plums, canned, are incredibly good,
by the way.

I can NEVER get enough plums I've no idea how well they store
because we ate them as fast as we could get them! well, we did waste a
lot of them trying to find ripe ones(pluck, bite, pucker, toss, repeat)

I'm considering taking any excess plums and making wine, so I really
dont want to sacrifice any trees. and it is more like 10-20 trees, most
so close together that typical transplanting guidelines cant apply.
looks like there were more lining the driveway, but it appears that
many years ago a shed fire wiped out a batch, and i was thinking of
movign the extras to where they were(note, this is all guess work, no
history of the house, I just look at the solutions fits)