Old 23-11-2006, 07:33 AM posted to rec.gardens
sherwindu sherwindu is offline

Default pruning and transplanting plum *bushes*

I'm afraid you took me literally. I said you can take UP TO 1/3 of the growth.
You
have to use your judgement as to how much pruning is necessary. You still have
not
answered the question of what recommended types of pruning failed, and for what
reason.

Yes, and Stanley plums make great jam and pies, as well.

Sherwin D.

Tater wrote:

simy1 wrote:
If you think you are getting enough plums, perhaps you should sacrifice
2 trees and keep three - that would double your spacing. If they are
all fresh eating, poor keeping varieties, that is probably what I would
do. No family can dispatch the fruit of five trees ripening all at once
(unless you have chickens). Stanley plums, canned, are incredibly good,
by the way.

I can NEVER get enough plums I've no idea how well they store
because we ate them as fast as we could get them! well, we did waste a
lot of them trying to find ripe ones(pluck, bite, pucker, toss, repeat)

I'm considering taking any excess plums and making wine, so I really
dont want to sacrifice any trees. and it is more like 10-20 trees, most
so close together that typical transplanting guidelines cant apply.
looks like there were more lining the driveway, but it appears that
many years ago a shed fire wiped out a batch, and i was thinking of
movign the extras to where they were(note, this is all guess work, no
history of the house, I just look at the solutions fits)