Old 24-11-2006, 05:03 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Tomes Tomes is offline

Default Chain Saw Recommendations - Sharpening

"ecarecar" wrote in message
et...
Tomes wrote:
"A. Pismo Clam" wrote in message
Hello All,
I've got about 100 dead avocado trees that are eyesores. I'm looking for
a 14" or 16" chain saw that can help me prune back the limbs.
If anyone can recommend the saw that they currently use or have used, I
would be most grateful for the help!
Alan

I have been using my little Stihl 14 incher (it has '18' in the model
name...) for many years not without a problem. I cut through some big
stuff with it too, coming in from both sides. Just have a few blade
chains so that you have a couple sharp with the others are out getting
sharpened (unless you sharpen yourself, which will save some bucks).
Tomes

What's good to sharpen a chain?
I have had the best results with just a round file.

They make a kit for this, although I have not had one. Maybe that could be
a Christmas present idea... The thing is that you want to get a few
dimensions right, not just move the arc back. I take mine in at $6 each.
Anyone wish to comment on self sharpening? Do you use a kit, is it easy,
how is it done?
Tomes