Old 24-11-2006, 11:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ornata Ornata is offline
Registered User

Default London - clement weather

judith lea wrote:
p.k. wrote:
is this global warming or ir is usual
for those areas to have flowering annuals at this time of year?

perfectly normal.

My banana rarely collapses before xamas, and the whole trunk suvived one
winter with no protection at all.

Friends who come up from surry in the spring recko we are about 2/3 weeks
ahead of them.

I cannot believe that a banana survived outside for the winter - mine
died and it was in a conservatory! It did not throw up new shoots the
following year. You were lucky.

I think Musa basjoo is root hardy throughout the British Isles. Potted
bananas can die if they are kept moist when not actively growing, as
the corm can rot.